About Heat On The Street
Thanks for visiting Heat On The Street. This is a resource, community, and blog for new and working musicians. Created by Todd McCarty, the former GM of Fearless Records and Sony Music VP of Sales. Heat On The Street will teach you how to build and maintain success in the music business. I believe musicians should have more resources, more happiness, and the financial rewards to sustain a long career. Furthermore, musicians should be able to support a family and live a lifestyle that defies the “poor artist” image.
What Can I Do Here?
- Read blog posts and get tons of step by step advice and actionable tips about streaming, music marketing, music promotion, and building a fanbase.
- I’m building an online academy called Band Builder Academy – launching this Summer. Join the waitlist to get details about the launch and a lower price.
- Submit a track for my Spotify playlists SUBMIT and get exposure!
- The banners on the right side offer free downloadable PDFs, infographics, and cheatsheets. If you’ve already subscribed to my list, just email to request additional PDFs. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join the email list to get alerts when new posts go up. If you’ve already subscribed to my list, and need other PDFs, email a request to email@example.com
- Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
I’m Todd McCarty. My home base is in Los Angeles, but i’m currently living in Japan for the next couple years. I’m passionate about music, baseball (Go Nats!), education, and traveling to new places with my wife and daughter. I left my salary record label jobs to build a consultant business and educate a large audience of musicians (Band Builder Academy). I’ve served musicians and fans my entire career. I still consult for record labels and independent musicians getting placement for music on Spotify, Apple, and Amazon.
Previously I was General Manager for Fearless Records where I worked for 13 years (2002 – 2015) helping artists like Portugal. The Man, I Prevail, Motionless In White, Mayday Parade, Pierce The Veil, The Maine, and Plain White T’s create heat on the street. I was awarded a Multi-Platinum single, 3 Platinum singles, 4 Gold Albums, and many Gold singles for RIAA certified sales achievements. In 2016 & 2017 I was at Sony Music as Senior Vice President of Sales for the Century Media label group.
Consequently I‘ve also been in your shoes. I was a working musician, tour manager, released my own albums as an unsigned artist, and booked and promoted national tours.
What does “heat on the street” mean ?
It’s an expression I picked up along the way that refers to an artist creating an organic fan base. Ideally “heat on the street” happens prior to engaging in mainstream promotion (like radio, TV, movies, brand partnerships, etc.). Having “heat on the street” is the ultimate sign that things are about to get exciting. It means there is a groundswell of word of mouth buzz happening that nobody can deny. When you have it, it’s time to double down on promotion. Heat on the street has been my north star every time things get challenging in artist development, and I hope the concept serves my readers well.